Debate Question: To what
degree do Romeo's words suggest true love or youthful, rash behavior?
I think Romeo's words and
actions convey his young age and rash decisions. He did not act out of
love, but out of his teenage craze. Romeo fell in love with Juliet for
her beauty, not for who she truly is. True love does not have a definition,
but it involves emotional connections. Romeo and Juliet hardly spoke to
one another before they declared their "love" to each other.
Romeo conveys his rash
behavior through his words. For example, in act 2 scene 6, lines 7
through 8, he states "Then love-devouring death do what he dare, it is
enough I may call her mine." Here, Romeo makes a foolish statement
declaring that he would much rather die than not have Juliet by his side.
I think this line proves Romeo's rash behavior; he is so young and has so
much life to live, but he would rather die than not be with a girl he only met
a few hours previously. I also think
that because Romeo was so devastated from his heartbreak, he jumped at the
chance of being with another beautiful girl.
Also, in act 2 scene 4,
lines 48 through 49, Romeo states "With Rosaline? No. I have
forgot that name and that name's woe." Here, Romeo says that he has
already forgotten Rosaline and all of the sadness that she caused.
Before, Romeo was so depresses and heartbroken because Rosaline did not
love him back, but now that he has seen another beautiful girl he has forgotten
her. This also makes me question the depth of Romeo's "love"
for Juliet. Romeo's age makes me think that he only has these such strong
feeling for Juliet because he knows that she share the same feeling, unlike
Rosaline.
In conclusion, Romeo
acted foolish and irrational. His age
played a big factor in his words. I
think love is progressed over a period of time, not over a span of a few hours. Since Romeo and Juliet were so young, their
relationship began because they were in love with the idea of each other; they
were both attractive. Although, most
relationships do begin with the interest in physical feature, the word love doesn't erupt until after an emotional connection is shared.
No comments:
Post a Comment